The Tilapias of Lake Malawi
Oreochromis of the squamipinnis group. Photo copyright © by M. K. Oliver
All the tilapias (genera Oreochromis and Tilapia) that are known, or have been reported, to occur in Lake Malawi are listed below, along with notation of their endemicity.
Note on the subgenera of Oreochromis: Except for Oreochromis shiranus, all L. Malawi Oreochromis species have been placed in the subgenus Nyasalapia Thys van den Audenaerde (1968), which also includes species not found in L. Malawi. Trewavas (1983: 28) identified the type species of this subgenus as Chromis squamipinnis Günther, 1864 [=Oreochromis squamipinnis], by original designation of Thys. Eschmeyer's (1990) hard-cover Catalog of the Genera of Recent Fishes considered the name Nyasalapia to be not available; it was said to have been published with no included species and no description. However, the current on-line version of the Catalog of Fishes now recognizes Nyasalapia as a valid name and accepted as a subgenus of Oreochromis, so it would appear that Trewavas was correct all along.
- Oreochromis Günther, 1889
- Oreochromis (Nyasalapia) karongae (Trewavas, 1941) Endemic species. O. saka (Lowe, 1953) is now regarded as a junior subjective synonym of O. karongae (Turner & Robinson, 1991)
- Oreochromis (Nyasalapia) lidole (Trewavas, 1941) Species endemic to L. Malawi and to the crater lakes L. Kingiri and L. Chungruru in the Rungwe Mountains of Tanzania some 8-50 km north of L. Malawi
- Oreochromis (Nyasalapia) squamipinnis (Günther, 1864) Endemic species
- Oreochromis (Oreochromis) shiranus shiranus Boulenger, 1897 Endemic subspecies; another subspecies is found in nearby lakes Chilwa and Chiuta
Tilapia Smith, 1840
- Tilapia (Coptodon) rendalli (Boulenger, 1897) Nonendemic, widespread species
- Tilapia (Tilapia) sparrmanii Smith, 1840 Type species of genus and subgenus Nonendemic, widespread species
|Last Update: 12 May 2012
Web Author: M. K. Oliver, Ph.D.
Copyright © 1997-2013 by M. K. Oliver - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED